With the Syrian Ministry of Defense finally having embraced 21st century media technology, it now regularly uploads high-definition images on both its official website and twitter account. Despite this ‘giant’ leap forward, the Syrian MoD still only communicates to the outside world in Arabic, thereby excluding a large audience that could otherwise be interested in reading or viewing the MoD’s statements on ongoing battles in the Syrian theatre. Nonetheless, the images published provide for a perfect opportunity for another ‘Photo Report’.
Interesting photo with the Yemen war. Once the two tanks (T-55 and T-62) ammunition exploded, after which the towers are intricately superimposed on one another.
The T-54, a logical improvement on the T-44, was designed at factory #183 in Nizhniy Tagil (the future UralVagonZavod), and was the main tank of the first post-war decade. The first T-54 prototypes were created during WWII, in late 1944 and early 1945. The tank was accepted into service in 1946, and production began that same year. The T-54 was ahead of other tanks in its class in all parameters. The design was so progressive that the Soviet Army had no need to develop a replacement for over a decade.