Judging by what is happening, agreement on the division of spheres of influence in South-Eastern Syria and no parties are aggressive redistribution of these territories, While the United States hinder the promotion of the Iranian proxy to At-Tapu, SAA, “Hezbollah” and Shiite volunteers prepare forced off a large piece of territory between the Eastern Kalamoon and the Syrian-Jordanian border. Plus, for all this fuss in the desert is hidden a profound struggle with Iran for a strategic opportunity to control the Syrian-Iraqi borders, through which Iran wants to throw a land corridor to Syria and create “a Shiite Crescent”.
Islamic State suicide bombers on Sunday attacked a military base for U.S.-backed fighters near the Syrian-Iraqi border, leaving several dead before blowing themselves up, rebel sources and the militants said on Sunday.
They said the dawn attack on the heavily defended military camp near the Syrian al Tanf border crossing with Iraq involved at least one explosive-laden vehicle that rammed the gate of the base which was set up by the fledgling, Pentagon-trained New Syria Army.
Originally posted on militarytechcooperations:
The New Syrian Army opposition group failed an operation against Daesh after planes of a US-led coalition had been diverted from the offensive, according to…
The contingent had received training and support from the United States, Jordan and the United Kingdom before driving 10 hours across the Syrian desert to assault Bukamal, and its perceived defeat there is one more blow to a highly criticized Pentagon program that has produced only marginal battlefield gains despite a $500 million budget and an initial promise of churning out 5,000 trained fighters a year.
“Hanging out our supposed allies to dry doesn’t achieve much and undermines our legitimacy and credibility,” Maxwell said. “It’s hard to establish and maintain rapport with these organizations if we say one thing and do another.”
US-backed rebels on Sunday accused fighters from al-Nusra Front of storming their headquarters in northwestern Syria and kidnapping their commander, along with dozens of other combatants.
In a statement published online on Sunday, Jaish al-Tahrir (Army of Liberation) said its commander, Mohammad al-Ghabi, had been abducted from his father’s home in the town of Kafranbel by al-Nusra Front militants on Saturday evening.
It said the group’s fighters had also “kidnapped more than 40 members of Jaish al-Tahrir” and stolen weapons from other bases and checkpoints set up in northwestern Syria.
The offensive itself began with NSyA units being airlifted into Syria behind ISIS lines, likely using US helicopters. From there, the force pushed into al-Bukamal town taking several areas, as well as claiming control over the al-Qaim border crossing. By all accounts until this morning the operation could be seen as a success.
However, things began to go horribly wrong. ISIS reportedly mounted a forceful counterattack towards al-Bukamal, forcing the NSyA to withdraw. While unconfirmed at this stage, ISIS claimed to have killed 40 NSyA fighters and captured another 15 in this fighting. As well, the NSyA were reported to have lost a number of vehicles to ISIS, in what had quickly turned into a rout. Given that the New Syrian Army was deployed deep into ISIS-controlled territory, 250km away from the Jordanian border (and safety) it remains to be seen how many of the US-backed fighters will have survived the offensive.