Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Saturday that several servicemen at Incirlik Air Base were detained on coup attempt links in a result of the ongoing special operation.
MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Saturday that several servicemen at Incirlik Air Base were detained on coup attempt links in a result of the ongoing special operation.
Cavusoglu told Reuters that Turkey would continue its fight against the outlawed in Russia and numerous other countries terrorist organization Daesh as soon as the operation at the base is over.
The coup attempt was suppressed by early Saturday, with Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim stating that all coup supporters were identified and would be apprehended as the country was returning to normal life.
Over 180 people were killed and 1,470 were injured during the events, while nearly 3,000 people have already been detained, according to the prime minister.
U.S. troops at Turkey’s Incirlik air base were at the highest force protection level, known as “condition Delta,” after power was cut off at the base and the Turkish government closed the airspace around the site in the hours following a foiled military coup attempt, a U.S. official told ABC News today.
Turkish officials told ABC News they believe Turkish planes docked at Incirlik Air Base took part in Friday night’s coup attempt, which is why the site is locked down.
There are 2,200 U.S. personnel in Turkey, including 1,500 stationed at Incirlik.
A Pentagon spokesman said the loss of commercial power to Incirlik has not affected operations because the U.S. facilities there are operating on internal power sources. U.S. officials are working with their Turkish counterparts to resume air operations at the air base. All U.S. government personnel in Turkey appear safe and secure, he added.
“Turkish government has closed its airspace to military aircraft, and as a result air operations at Incirlik Air Base have been halted at this time,” Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook told ABC News. “In the meantime, U.S. Central Command is adjusting flight operations in the counter-ISIL campaign to minimize any effects on the campaign.”
A faction of the Turkish military took over state TV, imposed martial law and a curfew and attacked the police headquarters in the capital of Ankara on Friday night. The Turkish government declared the attempted military coup over Saturday morning.
Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said 161 people were killed in the overnight coup attempt and 1,440 people were injured.
Access denied, power cut at Turkey base used by US
An air base used by the United States forces in the alleged war on the Daesh terrorists has lost its electric power while local military authorities have closed movement in and out of it, says the US consulate in Adana.
In a statement released on its website on Saturday, the consulate called for avoiding the Incirlik airbase, located in the city of Adana in southern Turkey.
The statement followed a failed coup against the government of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan late on Friday.
“Be advised that local authorities are denying movements on to and off of Incirlik Air Base,” it read. “The power there has also been cut.”
It further called on everyone to “avoid the air base until normal operations have been restored.”
The consulate added that the Adana airport had been reopened but “flights to and from Istanbul and Ankara remain suspended.”
A pentagon spokesman voiced hope earlier in the day that the air base could resume its activities as soon as possible.
The closure has reportedly halted airstrikes by US planes allegedly to target Daesh Takfiris in Syria and Iraq.
According to US Secretary of State John Kerry, the attempted coup has not influenced Washington’s cooperation with Ankara within NATO or the coalition against Daesh.
More than 160 people died while nearly 1,500 others sustained injuries during the coup attamp, described by Prime Minister Binali Yildirim as a “black stain on Turkish democracy.”